CARING FOR YOUR NEW MOROCCAN RUG
Moroccan rugs are one-of-a-kind, heirloom pieces of art that hold the heart of the weaver and the soul of land. Their beauty is timeless, and with proper maintenance, they are woven to last.
Most Moroccan rugs (Kilims, Beni Ourain, Beni M’rirt, and Vintage rugs) are woven using 100% Wool. Wool is a naturally stain-repellant fibre as it contains lanolin which creates a barrier between the stain and the fibre. Natural, undyed wools contain more lanolin than dyed fibres; this allows for easy cleaning, and easy and consistent cleaning will keep your rug looking beautiful for years to come.
HOW TO CLEAN A MOROCCAN RUG
- Vacuum your rug once or twice a month with the suction only (do not use the beater bar). If the rug is in a high-traffic area, or you have pets, you may need to vacuum it more frequently.
- For spots and accidents, clean your rug with a natural, clear soap and a white, damp cloth (coloured cloths and soaps can transfer dyes to the carpet).
- Clean liquid spills quickly by using baking soda to absorb excess liquid and vacuum it up before spot cleaning. Make sure the rug does not stay wet or humid after spot cleaning to prevent odours from occurring.
- Moroccan rugs love sunshine and fresh air. They are perfect accompaniments to rooms with large windows and lots of light. They also benefit from being taken outside to breathe as it prevents humidity and odour.
- Regular, proper maintenance will reduce the need for deep cleaning but if you want to deep clean it, we recommend having it cleaned by a professional rug cleaner. Alternatively, you can take the rug outside and wash it with mild soap on a clean surface. It needs at least three days of warm weather and sunshine to dry out completely.
- Rug pads protect your rug and floor; it circulates airflow and prevents odours and humidity from occurring. Rug pads should measure one inch less around the perimeter of the rug and are available to purchase at a carpet store or online.
- Wool rugs need to breathe; please don’t store your rug in a bag or humid place.
We thank you for your purchase and hope your rug will bring a touch of Moroccan magic to your home for years to come.